Best Island
Beautiful Island
Beautiful Beach

Friday, April 22, 2011

Diamond Head & Honolulu Zoo

Tuesday I hiked the Diamond Head Crater and went to the Zoo.

Here is the starting point in the centre of the crater.


Here is the view of Waikiki from the top.


I took the city bus up to the Crater hike entrance and then walked back down to Waikiki to go through the Zoo.

I thoroughly enjoyed the zoo. They have 5 giraffes. I love giraffes. I sat with the giraffes and ate my lunch. One day, before I die, I would love to hug a giraffes neck. I doubt I'll ever get to, but one can dream.

Here are a couple pictures of the giraffes and other inhabitants of Honolulu Zoo.





Here kitty kitty. I love those whiskers

Hippos keeping cool by submerging in water. They can stay underwater up to 4 minutes at a time. At which time they poke their nostrils above the surface take a breath and then re-submerge. Not very picture worthy, I know, but I couldn't resist.


The meerkat's were adorable.


The ruffed-lemer has quite the face. He looks like he has a Colonel Saunders moustache.

The zebra is the soccer fan of the animal kingdom. They are a proud supporter of New Castle United football team. They wear their colours everywhere.

The kimodo dragon was a really, really big lizard. Yikes!!

The Indian Elephant.



Also at the Zoo were beautiful specimens of local flora.

The State flower of Hawaii, the Yellow Hibiscus.


And the glorious and fragrant plumeria. The scent of this flower fills the air in Hawaii, as they grow everywhere. I absolutely love them.

I was picking up blossoms that had fallen on the sidewalk and taking them back to my room. They wouldn't last long, but the fragrance never waned.



Aloha until next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment