Best Island
Beautiful Island
Beautiful Beach

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Stay warm and well fed

Everyone needs an array of friends. Some we smile at and say hello too while driving through the neighborhood. Some we stop and chat with about the kids, the family, etc. Some we have coffee with. Some we shop with. Still others we confide and share our hearts with. I'm so thankful for the many kinds of friends that God has given me. I've also learned that the ones who will walk out life's joys and challenges with you are truly special.

As a believer in Jesus Christ, it is an amazing privilege to be called by a friend and asked to pray for their needs. I count it an honor to do so. I also love being able to call a girlfriend and ask them to pray for me knowing that they will. Over the years, God has blessed me with several woman who I know will intercede in Jesus name for whatever it is I am in  need of - my children, jobs, health, finances, etc.

Recently though a very special friend in my life took it a step further. You see, God had been asking me to fast for three days for the past six months. Nothing but liquid for three days.  I had shared this with a handful of women and all had said, if you decide to be obedient, I'll pray with you during that time. While so grateful for their prayers, truthfully, I never fully committed and as a result couldn't seem to get past the first day. Three days of no food just didn't sound like a good time to me. Yet, God kept knocking on my heart. (Doesn't He always?)

So, in complete frustration, I confided in a girlfriend what God was asking me to do. When I did, she said the craziest thing to me. She said, "I'll do it with you".  That evening stepping out on her faith, I decided to obey the Lord because she decided to be Jesus to me with skin on.

Can I just tell you how she inspired me? Not only did we make it three days and three nights with no food. Not only did  God minister to me in ways that are still unfolding. Not only did I realize that I can do all things though Christ who strengthens me. I realized that there is something to be said for putting shoes on our faith and walking it out with a brother or sister in Christ.

In the book of James (ch. 2) - says, "Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead."

I am so thankful for my friend for her willingness to lay down her own life for me. Together we hungered and together we were filled with the power of God. I know God will bless her mightily for her generous and loving spirit.

I pray that He today will show me (and you) how we can live the same way in the life of another.

Until next time..... blessings!



No comments:

Post a Comment