Best Island
Beautiful Island
Beautiful Beach

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Humpty Dumpty

One of the saddest stories I was told as a child was that of Humpty Dumpty. Remember that old childhood riddle?

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall
All the kings horses and all the kings men
Couldn't put Humpty Dumpty back together again


Why on earth would we tell our children that sad old tale I have no idea? It's a story about life gone wrong, accidents that happen, the power of self and unbelief.


This morning, my devotions led me to Luke 1:37 which says simply, "Nothing is impossible with God". It's a statement made by the angel Gabriel to the virgin Mary where he announced that her world was about to be totally rocked by the impossible.

Has God ever done that to you? Rocked your world by whispering a promise in your spirit that seemed totally impossible in the natural realm? Maybe He told you that you would be debt free within one year or that your wayward child would return home or maybe just reminded you that "all things really will work together for good" (Romans 8:28).

While the echo of His voice was still in your heart did you respond "no Lord, it's too broken" or "there's simply no way"? If so, you just experienced Humpty Dumpty thinking. That in a word is called unbelief. I've been there... a few times. For me it happens when I try to allow the king's horses and kings men (and women) try to fix my problems. Yet, the verse in Luke reminds us that while the kings horsemen and women may not be able to unscramble eggs, The KING JESUS Himself certainly can.

Even as I write this my spirit is jumping with encouragement. On this the first day of 2011, allow the words of Luke 1:37 to encourage you  and respond as Mary did in Luke 1:38 to the promises of God when she said in faith, "may it be to me as you have said".

Happy New Year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment