Best Island
Beautiful Island
Beautiful Beach

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Bali Day 5: Besakih Temple

DSCN0288

Besakih temple is the 4th most important temple in Bali. It is dedicated to the protector of the universe and is called "The Mother".

The gate or doorway that you see in the middle, supposedly will shut should an evil spirit attempt to enter. Yes, in order to get into the temple, we had to walk up all of those steps.

DSCN0290

Looking down from the top of the steps, do you see the buildings all the way in the back right, that is where we parked the bus.

DSCN0293

The doors and stone carvings are just incredible. Besakih temple is made up of 22 smaller temples that all lead up to the main spire Meru structure called Pura Penataran Agung. I'll be taking you up there. The view is amazing.

This is one of the temples within the temple complex.

DSCN0295

Because it was pouring rain, all of the women in our group were ushered to a shelter in the courtyard from which we could perform the offering and worship ceremony. Notice all the little rug rats we aqcuired.

DSCN0328

The temple's priest was a woman. According to our Tour Leader, they have made many visits to this temple over the years and this was the first time that a woman presided over the offering/worship.

DSCN0304

This is what the offering plate looks like. Of course, due to the rain, everyone's incense stick went out. I passed my plate back to one of the others on my tour because I was not going to take part in the ceremony.

DSCN0306

One of the other women on the tour, surrounded by the little children trying to sell her post cards. "One dollar, lady."

DSCN0307

During the offering/worship ceremony, two of the women on my tour hold the incense sticks and inhale the smoke. The smoke acts to purify, if I remember correctly.

DSCN0311

The men in our group getting very wet going through their offering.

DSCN0313

This is how you hold up your flower offering.

DSCN0318

After the offerings are made, the priest comes and sprinkles holy water on everyone and puts rice on their foreheads.

DSCN0327

One of the three front doorways in to the temple. This one, if you were outside looking at the temple was to the right.

DSCN0330

DSCN0336

DSCN0342

The temple complex was built in the 1300s (14th century) and was almost destroyed by a volcanic eruption in 1963. The lava flow missed the temple by feet, however the initial erruption killed 1700 worshipers.

DSCN0348

DSCN0354

One of the temple dogs. We saw a lot of dogs wandering around. No cats though. Animals are sacrificed in the temples. According to our local guide, the animals stand for a characteristic and by sacrificing the animal, it sets a person's foul free from that attachment. Only black and white puppies are sacrificed but only ever 10 or 15 years, I can't remember what the guide said. The word dog also translates to "no good", so by sacrificing the dog, the person sets their soul free from all the 'no good' in their soul. Other animals sacrificed are ducks, geese, cocks and pigs.

DSCN0359

A beautiful door on one of the temple buildings.

DSCN0362

The next series of photos are of the smaller temple complexes we walked by as we ascended up to the Pura Penatarang Agung. I probably could have spent all day here photographing the different temples and buildings. Beautiful, intricate patterns.

DSCN0365

DSCN0366

DSCN0369

DSCN0373

Another temple dog. I'm not sure if these dogs belong to anyone or are strays that get by with eating garbage or hand outs. This one growled at me as I stopped to take a picture. Don't worry, I was keeping my distance.

DSCN0374

This is me, didn't mean to post such a large picture. Behind me are shops leading up to the main temple spire. Jesus would not have been happy with this. Even though I have never visited the Holy Land, seeing how these temples were set up gave me some new insite into how the temples must have been in the time of Jesus.
DSCN0375
Some scary masks at one of the shops. I'll be honest, I considered getting one of these for my 8 year old nephew, however, I decided they were too scary looking. Heck, I'd freak out seeing one of these hanging from my wall during the day time.

DSCN0378

Two of the ladies making the treck to Pura Penataran Agung.

DSCN0379

Here I am on the road with Pura Penataran Agung behind me. We are almost there.

DSCN0380

I was so disappointed in my camera for doing this to this photo. One of the dragon/sea monster heads crowing the banister leading up the stairs into Pura Penataran Agung.

DSCN0383

This is the detail of the floor infront of the stairs. I don't know what the circles symbolize. They made a very interesting pattern. Its wild to think these may have been here since the 1300s.

DSCN0384

Ascending the steps into the main spire. My camera lense got fogged up from all the rain and humidity.

DSCN0385

With the gray clouds, the gateway into Pura Penatarang Agung looks kind of scary.

DSCN0388

Detail of the railing surrounding the temple.

DSCN0389

DSCN0391

Throne for one of the temple gods.

DSCN0397

DSCN0399

DSCN0401

Detail of the door way. I increased the color saturation so that the details stand out more.

DSCN0404a

Not sure what god this is over the doorway, but the detail is amazing. This part of the temple dates from around the 17th century (1600s).

DSCN0405a

The view from the door's threshold. Its almost like you can see the whole world from up here.

DSCN0406

More scary masks at a shop.

DSCN0410

From here on out, the photos are of the various temple complexes we walked past on our way down. I loved all the gardens.

DSCN0413

DSCN0417

DSCN0419

DSCN0420a

DSCN0424

DSCN0425

DSCN0426

DSCN0427

DSCN0431

DSCN0433

No comments:

Post a Comment