Best Island
Beautiful Island
Beautiful Beach

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

My May 5 Blog Entry: A Rainy Day in Paradise


This morning it started to rain and we had to make a change of plan. Originally we wanted to sail around Daydream Island, which is surrounded by coral reefs. Of course, there was some disappointment, but the day turned out to be just as memorable. We ended up spending our whole day at the Daydream Island Resort and Spa. As soon as we arrived there, we were all supplied with huge umbrellas and Pina Coladas served in coconuts. Although it was a rainy autumn day, we still had 25C degrees and the warm welcoming right away promised a great day ahead.

The sun came out again and again, so we enjoyed a stroll around the resort over to one of their living reefs. I knew in advance that we will get the chance to feed some fish, but I was thinking of little colorful ones. You can imagine my surprise as we were faced with stingrays and sharks! I was introduced to a huge brown stingray called Pancake, a white-spotted stinger called Discus and a small banana tail ray called Eric. Bravely I moved to the edge of the water and held out my hand to feed them. It was a very funny feeling; they turned out to be really endearing and sensitive animals. Eric became my favorite! He had a hard time though with all his big fellows snatching all the food away from him. As soon as I gave him a prawn separately from the others, Discus went on top of him and tried to force him to give up his meal. Of course, I couldn’t let that happen! So I gave Discus a prod and told him “Bad boy!” That is usually how I teach dogs good manners, but I would have never guessed that the very same thing works with stingrays! Discus actually listened to me and let little Eric go! I kid you not, I honestly had the feeling Discus was upset with me after the incident. Later on I wanted to make friends with him again and he just shyly took the food and went off right away. He was really upset at me! But don’t go out in the open waters now to train wild stingrays, you guys! They might react a little different when they get upset in comparison to the ones at Daydream Island Resort and Spa.

After the fish got fed, we also got our share of seafood. Some of the best prawns I ever tasted! As you can see I really did fill up that plate, but I also emptied it.


The rest of the day, I got a botanical rejuvenation treatment at the spa. I really enjoyed being pampered and spoiled for once with an aromatherapy, steam bath and massage. You have to try for yourself! There is nothing better you can do on a rainy day in paradise!

No comments:

Post a Comment